top of page
Car Dashboard Directions

Drivers License

Drivers License Information

     Your driver's license expires four years after it is issued and the expiration date is shown on the license. The license may be renewed at any time within 180 days prior to expiration. The fee to renew a Driver’s license is $38.25 and a duplicate license is $33.25, CDL is $38.25 to $68.25 depending on the class. License and ID cards may be renewed or duplicated Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the Herndon Building. In order to obtain a learner’s license, driver’s license, name change, or Star ID for the first time, customers must see the ALEA examiner. The ALEA examiner does not take appointments, walk-ins only.

     Active duty persons within the armed forces, their dependents, or any person temporarily out of Alabama at the time of license renewal may renew via mail. The required fee ($36.25 for regular license renewal) should be submitted by cashier's check or money order made payable to the Department of Public Safety and mailed to the Driver's License Division, PO Box 1471, Montgomery, AL 36102-1471. The licensee's full name, birth date, and driver's license number should be included along with their out-of-state address. The license must bear an Alabama address. You will keep eh same picture and signature.

     You may renew your Alabama driver's license in any county in the state. Alabama no longer sends advance notices when your driver's license is about to expire. You will be notified 30 days after your license has expired to come in and renew your license. Alabama law grants a grace period of 60 days after the expiration date of a driver's license shall be valid for this period of time, as long as the driver is in the State of Alabama. An Alabama driver's license may be renewed without examination within a 3-year period after expiration.

I renewed my license but I haven't received my hard copy in the mail yet and my temporary is about to expire. What do I need to do?

You need to contact the State of Alabama at the number on your temporary license.

How do I display proof of military service on my driver's license?

To establish proof of service, a veteran can visit any renewal office location and present a DD-214 form from the U.S. Department of Defense that shows an "honorable" or "general under honorable conditions" status. There is no additional charge for the veteran designation for a first-time driver's license applicant or for an individual seeking to renew his or her license. A veteran who chooses to add the designation before his or her renewal date, however, must pay the standard fee for a duplicate license.

What do I need to simply renew my Alabama driver's license?

Please bring your driver's license with you to renew it. If you have lost your license you may bring your social security card or birth certificate.


What can I do from the Herndon Building?

– renew driver’s license

– change address

– renew star ID

What do I need to see the ALEA examiner for?

– issuing a new star ID

– issuing a learner’s permit for the first time (minimum age 15 years old)

– issuing a driver’s license for the first time (minimum age 16 years old)

- issuing an ID card for the first time

– name change on driver’s license

– moving to Alabama from another state and needing an Alabama driver's license or ID

What do I need to bring to get my star ID?

– Current driver’s license

– Birth certificate

– Social Security card

– Marriage license (for females only- because of name change)

– 2 pieces of mail with your current mailing address

What do I need to change my name on my license or ID?

First, you must go to the Social Security Office and have your Social Security Card changed. You will be given a form to bring to the office to change your name. You must wait 24 hours after you have been to the Social Security Office before any changes can be made to your license. In addition, you will need a certified document stating the name change- A document from Probate Judge certifying the name change, Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree stating you can return to your maiden name. Don't forget to change your voter registration at the same time.

Where is the ALEA examiner located?

The Annex Building

101 North Doswell Street

Abbeville, AL 36310

Hours are Wednesdays Only from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 3:00.

To contact the ALEA Examiner please call (334) 604-5407. This phone will only be answered on Wednesdays during business hours.

For further questions or concerns contact Public Safety at (334)983-5616 or please click the link below.


bottom of page